beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Driven - Eve Silver, Eve Kenin

Found this book because of Book Bub's sale alerts and thought the blurb looked pretty good. So, so happy that happened!

Raina Bowen drives a high-tech big rig through the post-apocalyptic Siberian wastelands. The New Government Order is supposed to secure a safe and peaceful existence even in this crummy, frozen region, but cronyism has actually secured a ridiculous amount of power to one man. The man who wants to torture Raina to death.

Raina meets Wizard when she "saves" him from her nemesis's ugly minions. She'd been there to meet him anyway for some finagled documentation, but the actual meet includes a rescue and confused intent. And thus our adventure begins.

Eve Silver AKA Eve Kenin says in the author's note at the end of the book that the show Firefly was a big inspiration for this world. Considering I'd thought that many times while reading, she did a good job of harnessing the same feel of the characters and the place. Being a big Firefly fan, that's a huge plus for me as a reader. And they're truckers! That's a new one for me, but it works spendidly.

Raina is beautiful and Wizard is hot. They're both damaged and a bit strange and their chemistry is clearly not something either of them has ever experienced before. It's totally believable in the story as well as refreshingly different from the typical romance path.

I'm already starting on the next book thanks to my inability to avoid sample chapters at the end of books. There's also a deleted scene included at the end of the main text that's pretty darn smokin'.

I don't know if it's on sale anymore, but it's definitely worth the read. My one actual story complaint is that the villain is A Very Bad Man. Meaning, he's just crazy, evil bad. He has one basic motive, but one doesn't have to be so Terribly, Terribly Bad and Evil to accomplish it.

I definitely liked this one for a new-to-me Romance/UF series.