beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Motorcycle Man (Dream Man, #4) - Kristen Ashley And I thought Tohr was a dick.

Then I met Tack.

This is the final installment of Kristen Ashley's Dream Man series. It stars Tack and Tyra as the leads and it is simultaneously hard to read and hard to put down.

Tack is a straight-up asshole for a good chunk of the first half of the book. In the second half he still has his moments. That I ended up loving him is nothing short of a miracle of writing on KA's part. How did she do that? I don't even know.

The story starts with a cringe-inducing prologue. A cringe of empathy, that is. Tyra has just had amazing and lengthy, wild sex with Tack who she just met that night. She's laying in bed with him thinking he's The One for her. Then she gets a big surprise. He's possibly the worst person in the entire world. In her entire world, anyway.

We move forward to more uncomfortable and infuriating situations and our heroine is seriously overwhelmed for a while. But she does stand up for herself. The thing is, unlike other alphas in the romance genre, Tack (and most of Ashley's heroes, it seems) doesn't actually back down. What's odd is that I end up okay with Tyra coming to a compromise and/or a new understanding of the situation. Again, how KA pulls this off without me throwing my Kindle is a mystery I'm not even going to try to solve. It just all ends up making sense somehow.

**ETA** Tack is the head of the Chaos Motorcycle Club and he's authentic as a crude, rude, rough talking/living biker. Some of the things he said had my eyes bugging out. How did I fall for him? The mind boggles. **End edit**

Tyra is a typical KA heroine -- at least as far as I know, I've only read three books and all in this series -- smart, witty, dryly observational. She cracked me up a number of times and I ended up really liking her. She did do one thing that was annoying, but just as I was about to downgrade my opinion of her, KA had her address the very thing that was bugging me. Again, how'd she do that?

I am giving this book five stars because, even though it was a difficult read for some of it, and the danger plot was skimpy on the details, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm glad it was my first KA read and I'm looking forward to savoring the backlist of this author.