beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Twice Tempted - Jeaniene Frost This was more of a 4.5 star read but I bump it up to 5 stars because I can. The price was not set by the publisher, so it qualifies per my rating policy. Suck on that A6ers! *ETA* Ooooooh. Color me with egg all over my face. This may not have been Agency priced but the price dropped a lot a week or two after release. So if you're a loyal fan and you preorder then *insert two middle fingers*. No longer eligible for 5 stars. Will keep an eye on this publisher to see if this kind of tricky behavior is typical. *end edit*

Anyway, I really like the Night Prince series. It's part of the Night Huntress World series which is an off-shoot of the Night Huntress series which features Cat and Bones (okay, that's really confusing). While I also liked the Night Huntress World books that have gone before -- Spade and Denice/Mencheres and Kira -- I think they suffered from having to be resolved in the space of one book. Jeaniene Frost is particularly talented in multi-book romance arcs and I really wish those stories had been told this way.

Leila is a great lead. I really like her voice -- this is first person POV -- and her story. It's complex and full of angst. Her devotion to her friends and family is admirable and makes her a solid action heroine.

I love her power, too. She kicks ass.

Vlad is an arrogant ass who is violent and grumpy and totally lovable. His feelings for Leila are clearly disruptive to his equilibrium and it's really endearing. She's a nice match for him.

I'd been sort of "meh" about the Night Huntress series, but this off-shoot has gotten me more excited about all of it. There's an excerpt for the new Cat and Bones book at the end of this one and I'm even excited about that now. So I'd say the Night Prince series is good medicine for the disenchanted Night Huntress fan.

You really don't have to read the other two Night Huntress World books (First Drop of Crimson, and Eternal Kiss of Darkness) to be able to fully enjoy these books.

Enjoy!