beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Draw One in the Dark - Sarah A. Hoyt I really liked this book. It had a few drawbacks, but it kept me intrigued the whole way through.

One problem, I think, is that for the first half of the book we're dealing with two protagonists who are so isolated and fearful of entanglements with other humans that we get a lot of inner monologue. It's actually interesting, which is unique, but it does make some segments drag a bit.

The other problem is that it has a YA feel in that the leads tend to be obtuse and make big decisions based on misunderstandings.

But the thing is, it all makes sense if you think about who these characters are. You just have to remind yourself of that when you want to shake them. And usually, Hoyt speaks to it not long after it happens.

I liked the two leads and their little posse well enough that I've already bought the next book in the series.

This was a freebie, so it's worth giving a try.

PS: The conversion to e-book seems to have been problematic because there is some mental editing required. Whoever did the job didn't do a very good one. It's not enough to ruin the story, but it's noticeable.