beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I finished this book a couple of days ago but I wanted to mull it a bit. I give it a 4.5 and round it up for the rating.

This is an excellently written YA book about kids suffering from cancer. It's funny and poignant and freaking depressing as hell. It's very emotionally powerful and thought-provoking.

The half star comes off because nobody, and I do mean nobody, talks the way these kids talk. They create beautifully structured, thoughtful, eloquent, articulate sentences off the tops of their heads using concepts and terms even recent graduate students in Language Arts don't throw around. So that was a little distracting to me.

Still, they're gorgeous sentences and I appreciated reading them for all I was aware no teenager would ever say them.

I can definitely recommend this book, but be warned, it will put you through the wringer.