beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Honor Bound - Brenda Novak A typical trope, bride running away from icky new husband who has icky plans for her and meets up with an unlikely hero. I don't mind such standard story lines, and Brenda Novak's writing is quite good for this genre, but there were real problems character-wise that just weren't overcome.

The heroine, Jeannette, is supremely irritating. She's constantly getting herself in trouble and putting other people at risk because she's too headstrong to listen when someone who has experience and knowledge tells her what to do. Oh, yes, some opportunities are manufactured for her to redeem herself, but she continues to make TSTL moves throughout.

The hero, Treynor, is much better, but his story doesn't actually make much sense. He's an honorable guy with a real talent for leadership so he's likable enough, but some of his choices later on are completely baffling.

The ending felt unsatisfying as the story comes to its conclusion with characters' behavior becoming bizarre. And the final chapters -- where a LOT of stuff happens -- feels like a cursory wrap up. After pages and pages in the middle that contained little furtherance of the story, just repetitious inner monologues and delayed revelations, it makes for a pretty big disappointment.