beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Once Burned - Jeaniene Frost I couldn't put this book down. I just really enjoyed the relationship between Leila and Vlad. The suspense was good, the chemistry was good, the action was good. Just a really fun read.

The only thing that shocked me (because I haven't been following this author's blog or fan group or anything) was that it ends without a full romantic conclusion. There will be another book for this couple next Spring, though, and I'm completely excited about that. I'm hoping it's the start of a new series, because this couple is really enjoyable.

It really doesn't make sense for Vlad's story to be concluded in one story (just like it probably didn't make sense for Mencheres to have an HEA in his book -- even though I liked his story), so I'm thrilled that we'll see a more extended arc for him and Leila.

This book is told in Leila's POV. She's a "freak show" performer with a traveling carnival after having been electrocuted and "changed" as a young teen. She shocks anyone she touches and, as if that weren't bad enough, she can see (by experiencing it through their eyes) their worst sin and/or their future. She can also divine these things from objects (including deaths which can be very gruesome and painful for her). It's a type of psychometry, which is one of my least favorite paranormal fiction tropes. That and empaths. Hate those stories. Authors almost always make their empath or psychometric characters emotional basket cases. To read a story like this where the author succeeds is in this area is so refreshing. Leila has issues, but she is no basket case. You can actually enjoy her use of her powers and her growth as a very kick-ass protagonist without all the mewling and whining that usually goes along with them.

The one thing I didn't like was the cameo appearance by a group of Night Huntress characters. It was pointless. Maybe it'll mean something in the next book ... which I am definitely getting on release day. :)