beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Fever Moon: The Fear Dorcha - Karen Marie Moning, Al Rio, David Lawrence, Cliff Richards 5 star art, 2 star story.

I'm a big fan of the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. It's a world that's rich and intriguing. And complex after five books and a full story arc have been published. Which is where the problem with Fever Moon comes in.

The story starts out fine, but as we roll to the climax, it falls apart. Suddenly canon is completely broken on several levels and in such unnecessary ways it just seems deliberate. Or slap-dash to end the thing without too much fuss. That's how it feels by the end, which is unfortunate, because this big let-down doesn't actually happen until about 4/5 of the way through.

And that's why I give the story two stars.

The art is fantastic. Al Rio and Cliff Richards did an amazing job with the visuals for beloved (and not so beloved) characters. It has just that "spectacular" feel that comics need to jump off the page. I loved that aspect of this book. That Cliff Richards was able to come in and seamlessly weave his work into the established imagery after Al Rio's death, is really impressive. I'll keep my eye out for his work in the future.

Comes out to about 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding up to 4 due to the excellent artwork.