beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
My Lady's Treasure - Catherine Kean I might have given this 2.5 and rounded it up to a three if the ending hadn't been so abrupt, leaving a lot of loose ends to tie up.

I had a hard time getting into this story. The author was too coy with pertinent details about the leads' pasts. Particularly the hero's. It kept me from engaging fully with them and I never felt the urgency to get back to reading when I put the book down. I felt like it took forever to get to the end. I don't think she had to reveal all, I just think there was plenty that could have been told without spoiling anything really important saved for later.

Because "later" is where everything happens. Everything else is just vamping until that point. The book could have been a novella and covered all the relevant info.

Kean also indulged some of my most hated devices: 1) walking off in a huff and refusing to listen which only unnecessarily prolongs the wait until the necessary dialogue happens; 2) not revealing information when there's absolutely no reason to not reveal it. Why didn't Brant call Torr out when Torr acted like he was just finding out Brant had killed his own brother? Brant had no reason to keep that information to himself at that point,, and 3) ending the story without a denouement after the climax.

This book has a lot of high ratings, so maybe it just struck all my personal sour notes. I've listed them here, though, and if you don't like those authorial devices, then you've been warned. :)