beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Redwood Bend - Robyn Carr A solid addition to my favorite literary soap opera.

Dylan and Katie click immediately. They have decent chemistry and sparks do fly. He doesn't want a relationship because his family's emotional commitment history is hellish and he thinks he's pretty much illiterate in that area. Katie doesn't mean to get involved with someone who says they're not interested in more than a fling, but she can't help herself.

It's a pretty good story. Subtle, calm, romantic. My biggest problem came in the middle when I hated Katie for a stretch. She was planning to do something repugnant while sitting on a fairly unearned high horse and I was pretty annoyed for a bit. But then things calmly came around to happy again. It's a genuine comfort read.

I was glad to see Hollywood portrayed a little more realistically. Authors always get it wrong. Nobody really wants to write about what it's really like, I suppose, so you get Carr's Murial St. Clair and McNaught's Zach Benedict. It's far uglier than those characters' stories portray, particularly where kids are concerned, and this one comes a lot closer without distractingly pounding the reader on the head.

I also thought Carr did a good job of portraying the despair and hardship of a small business owner in the current economic climate. Very well done on that score. Not as didactic as Carr can pull out for a story line like that, so I definitely appreciated it.

All in all it's a good one.