beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Good Tidings (Mary O'Reilly, #2) - Terri Reid This one was a little better than the last, although it still wasn't much of a "mystery". We pretty much know who the bad guys are from the beginning. It's more of a suspense series, IMO, than actual mystery.

I like the progression of the romance. The leads are good together and I like that they're taking it slow. I got a little tired of the featured side characters' playful bickering this time, it seemed forced, but they weren't around all that much so that was good.

This is the second book in the series and I'm seeing some repetition here so I'm wondering if it will be an ongoing thing. If so, it will have a definite "Murder She Wrote" feel and that would be unfortunate. But it's only the second book so we'll have to see how it all plays out.

And I will be reading further because I do like the developing romance and the side stories about some of the ghosts are nice and atmospheric. The main story in this one had me getting fairly choked up so it was definitely emotionally effective. The secondary story was more problematic for me, but not so much that I needed to reduce the rating.

Overall it's a competent series that doesn't necessarily tax the reader, but engages nonetheless. And sometimes that's exactly what I want to read.