beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Loose Ends  - Terri Reid I bought this because it was cheap and had good reviews. An excellent way to go about finding new authors, I think. It was pretty good for the first book in a series. Except for the fact you can tell who the culprit is as soon as they're described. Authors have these little axes to grind and they become a lot more obvious than they think they're being. This is why I don't always go for mysteries. I can usually tell by the way an author describes a person whether or not that person is going to be the bad guy.

But it doesn't really matter because halfway through, Reid must have decided she didn't really want to write a mystery and just went ahead and revealed the baddie to us. And then it turned into a kind of a suspense thing.

Anyway, this series is about a former Chicago cop who was killed in the line of duty and came back to life able to see ghosts. She investigates causes of death to help the spirits move on. Sometimes, if murder is involved, there's more to it than simply guiding someone to the afterlife. A small town setting and a quirky cast of characters made this a basically charming read, if not a very mysterious one.

She's self-published which is an endeavor I wholeheartedly support and she's just as enjoyable as plenty of authors from the big publishing houses. I've already bought the second entry in the series for only $2.99 (e-book) so we'll see if she gives it all away in the description again. If the characters click as nicely in the second installment as they did in the first I might not care.