beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
When Beauty Tamed the Beast - James Griffin, Eloisa James This was much better than A Kiss at Midnight (the first in James's "Fairy Tales" series). The story held together well, the chemistry was strong, the banter was funny and the plot was solid enough to carry the weight of fluff/romance/pathos/humor/etc.

In short, a huge improvement.

Piers and Linnet are great characters. He's an ass. A completely uncensored curmudgeon and she's smart enough to intentionally yank his chain without coming off like a self-centered, bitchy, idiot (as so many sharp-tongued heroines do).

I picked this up this morning and read it all day. I kept wanting to get back to it which is one of my top criteria for giving a book 4.5 to 5 stars.

This is actually a 4.5 because of the continued use of modern slang and phrasing. "What happens in Wales, stays in Wales"? Please don't do that anymore, Ms. James. Please.

But the story was good enough that such author indulgences didn't ruin it for me this time. I have more patience when I care about the plot and characters equally. :)