beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1) - Grace Burrowes Very poor pacing and manufactured issues (why don't people just talk to each other?) mar this story about a disaffected earl and his mysterious housekeeper.

If I'd been reading a dead tree book I'd probably have been banging it against the wall by the end as the hero and heroine asked themselves "whatever in the world could he/she mean by that?" well into the 90% range. After an entire book (longer than necessary, IMO) of this kind of willful miscommunication, it gets a little tedious.

Oh, and anachronisms abound. No, a housekeeper does not yell at the earl's father -- a duke -- and keep her job. Even if the earl thinks the old man had it coming. And that's not the only outrageous overstepping that happens. After a while you just go with it but only because you've lowered your expectations to that point.

Burrowes does have interesting characters, though, and for that reason alone I'm reading the next book in the series. It's kind of frustrating that several books I've read recently have elements that are so good (in this case a very engaging cast of characters) but are overbalanced by elements that are surprisingly weak. Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time lately putting up with it.

So three stars straight up for this one.