beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Variant - Robison Wells It's YA but better than most I've read that tend to be padded out with sex and fluff. There's no sex in this but there are disturbing situations and there is violence.

The basic premise: Benson Fisher manages to obtain a scholarship to a boarding school in order to escape the endless revolving door of foster care failure. Once there he quickly finds out the "school" is not at all what he was expecting.

After about the first third where we're learning about the world and meeting characters, this story really engaged me. By the last five chapters I couldn't put it down. Luckily I got to that point in the evening instead of at midnight because I would have stayed up to find out what happened.

Which is part of the problem. Cliffie. Arrrgh! Wells loses an entire star for that. I'm not a fan of cliffhangers.

I have no idea when the next installment will be out but I will definitely be reading it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he hit us with yet another abrupt ending, so begin at your own risk.