beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Hounded - Kevin Hearne I was really looking forward to reading this book and, I admit, it's well written and has some pretty great world building. Ultimately, I just couldn't get into it.

My main issue with the story is that I never fully connected with the protagonist, Atticus O'Sullivan. He's a rather snarky guy who doesn't appear to take anything very seriously. I feel like he -- it's told in his first person POV -- is standing outside and telling rather than pulling me inside and showing. He reminds us often that some things others would be affected by just don't really faze him anymore. It really sucks the emotion out of what might have been a few powerful scenes.

It does get better at the end, so perhaps the next two books are stronger. I will wait for some specific reviews (from people who had the same experience with this first book) before I start on the next one.