beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
The Runaway Duke - Julie Anne Long Closer to 3.5. I love Julie Anne Long's writing or this one wouldn't have held up. She created a couple of really good lead characters and then tossed them in a story so rife with coincidences it was laughable. Really, the coincidences were so outrageous that they should have been remarked on in a post-modern way but they weren't.

However, I do love JAL's writing so I'm glad I read it. It also contains one of the loveliest declaration moments I've read in a while:

"I love you," she murmured.

The words ... it was as though an entire sun had exploded in his chest.

He'd been ridiculous. His thrashing thoughts, his grand confusion and torment and helplessness -- it was only love, had always been love, he supposed. It was no precipice he stood at, or rather precipices have little meaning when one finally acknowledges that one has wings. Connor stepped off.

"I love you, too."

Such grave, inadequate words for what it was he felt.

*sigh*