beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Monster Hunter Vendetta - Larry Correia This is the second installment of the Monster Hunter series (there are only three out) and I enjoyed as much as the first. It's non-stop action and suspense and it's a crazy, world-upside-down urban fantasy that really satisfies.

This time Owen Z. Pitt is being pursued by a nasty necromancing cult leader after said cult leader's god -- the most evil being in the known and unknown universe(s) -- demands vengeance ... for something Owen didn't even do! Sheesh! Some guys can't catch a break.

Favorite and not-so-favorite characters return and we get to know more about some of them. There are some surprises and a lot of laughs. Correia has a way of keeping the suspense and/or horror ramped up while still including a wry observation that will make you smile in spite of your stress.

And stressful it is. As with the first installment, this is all about action. There are so many battle sequences that are over-the-top and evocative that you almost have PTSD at the end. He's good with the wrap-ups, though, so you have a nice glide to the last page.

The epilogue sets up the next book and it's already aggravating my ulcer wondering what's going to happen and hoping some things foreshadowed won't. The third book is already out but I'm sticking to the rules and putting it off until I've read a few other things first. I don't know if I could take reading these books back to back. Too much adrenaline. But I do really enjoy them and I'm probably going to be on board for the entire series ride.