beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Rules of an Engagement - Suzanne Enoch The introduction to the heroine of this book basically put an anvil around her neck. She was immediately unlikable. How in the world was she going to pull it out and be an acceptable heroine for beloved Bradshaw Carroway?

Well, she does. She has an arc and it's drawn with nuance and charm by Enoch. Ultimately Zephyr Ponsley ends up being exactly the love interest Bradshaw needs and vice versa. She learns a lot and has the intelligence to realize it. Not your run-of-the-mill sharp tongued heroine.

The adventure is good. I find, however, that the vast majority of father figures in Enoch's work are selfish asses. Why is that? I've come to expect it. I suppose in this book it was necessary to ensure Zephyr's desire to leave her old way of life, but it might be a cheat.

Not a big deal, it's just something I've noticed.

I love Enoch's "Lessons in Love" trilogy and Bradshaw is a carry-over character from that. This is the third installment of the "Adventurer's Club" series but I never read the second one and did not feel lost at any point. So, it's probably more helpful to read the Lessons trilogy than it is to read the series attached to this book.

It was good to see the Carroways again. Just in short dashes, but I loved the development of Bradshaw's relationship with Robert.

If you're looking for a charming historical with some exotic locations you will probably enjoy this. And it was on sale for Kindle so get it while it's hot!