beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Not Quite a Husband - Sherry Thomas The main two reasons I bought this book were the good reviews and it wasn't an anti-free market price fix by one of the greedy publishers that have become my arch nemeses. After a few chapters, however, I wondered what I'd gotten myself into.

The first part of the book is very staid. A married couple who simply can't communicate. A heroine you want to drop off a cliff she's so bitter and hurtful. It takes a tad too long to find out why she behaves the way she does. I really had developed a strong hatred of her by the time of the reveal so I wasn't completely moved by the cause. Thankfully, the author is adept at giving both characters a heavy dose of soul searching and a situation where they can't do anything but finally talk to each other candidly.

This is a real "Can This Marriage be Saved?" storyline and I really wondered how/if it would work. But it did, and beautifully. About halfway through, the relations began to thaw and I started to believe the chemistry. By the end of the book I was enthralled and I have to say I really loved it. Those first chapters are extremely rough, though, and they cost the book a full star.

This book didn't make me LOL, but it did make me smile and it also made me cry. There's a lot to like here and it's a unique (for historical romance) time frame and setting -- turn of the 19th to 20th century in India. The book is all about these two, though. No real subplots going on, but I didn't really miss that. I look forward to reading the rest of this author's short backlist and grabbing up whatever she comes up with next.