beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Moonlight Road (Virgin River) - Robyn Carr Well, this one was didactic. Almost lost a star for the lectures on special needs adults, surrogate parenting and life after hysterectomy. One of Carr's strengths is her dialogue, but people just don't go into these long-winded explanations. And I'm not sure that, as a reader, I needed to know all those details ... at least not more than once.

In any case, I liked the lead couple. I loved, loved, loved, that my favorite Virgin River couple -- Ian and Marcie -- were back in the picture. Although Marcie did act a little TSTL for a moment, I, as a sister, understand the motivation and impulsive action.

There's a bit of a suspense story involved that was diverting, along with a sweet story featuring Art, and another Mel crisis that might make you want to fling your book at the wall a time or two.

I really like the Riordans, so seeing their stories is not a burden. But it's strange to see them all so close together. First Luke then a book in between his and Sean's and then right away with Aiden. They seem more like dominoes than romance heroes at this point.

The story preceding this one -- Angel's Peak -- was so much less absorbing. Poor Sean got ripped off. But this romance for Aiden was very nice.

Mel's crisis was understandable to me, but was steeped in the selfishness with which this character meets all her personal crises. She can be a real pain in the butt. However, she does pull my heartstrings when she finally comes down on the right side, so I'm forgiving.

Not as good as some of the other VR books, but not near the worst. A nice, solid 4 star, I think.