beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Warrior - Zoe Archer Another author found through Goodreads. This place is going to break me.

This book starts out in the thick of an action scene. A fight that our hero, Captain Gabriel Huntly, as jumped into. He doesn't like an unfair fight, you see.

That one heroic action leads him to Outer Mongolia, of all places, to deliver an important message and fulfill a duty to the man who saved his life. Gabriel's like that. Honorable to the end.

Thalia Burgess lives with her father in Outer Mongolia and longs to join the ranks of the Blades of the Rose. They protect the powerful magical artifacts around the world from various entities that want to possess and use them to control the world's population.

Exciting, right? Yes. There's plenty of action in this book. Scene after scene of struggle against human and natural elements. But, for some reason, it wasn't a can't-put-it-down book until at least halfway through. It's an odd thing. The writing is excellent, the situations are new and interesting and the action is well described. I just couldn't get into it right away.

I started to get into the story when the romance finally happened. Archer showed me a couple that was deeply in love and also deeply logical and pragmatic. No misunderstandings, just concern that their respective duties might keep them from their future.

Gabriel and Thalia make a great team. They're unlike most heroes/heroines you find in romance, but they compliment each other very well. I felt as if, even amidst all that action, I was in a holding pattern waiting for them to hook up and stay hooked up. Once that happens it's like all the necessary parts have come together and we can go along for the ride.

Don't know if that makes sense. I guess my point really is that this is a good book and I'm planning to read the rest of the series, but I warn that you might not feel connected until you get past the half way mark. Then I think you'll really enjoy the ride. :)