beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Gabriel's Ghost - Linnea Sinclair, Megan Sybil Baker I just never totally settled into this book. To be fair, I don't tend to like science fiction. I loved "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" but that's about the level I tend to go for, it seems. Regular people dealing with alien races.

I'm not even sure why this is. I can deal with the strange races and places: Takas, Stolorths, Moabar, when they're in fantasy -- I mean I have no problem with hobbits -- but somehow they seem inaccessible to me in sci fi. I can't really explain it except that fantasy generally deals with a world similar to what surrounds me and sci fi deals with outer space.

Still, I tried to put all that aside and just enjoy the romantic adventure story between Chasidah and Sullivan. That ended up not working out so well, unfortunately, because the main device used to maintain tension between the hero and heroine was deception via omission. Secrets told in little dribs and drabs until the end of the book and a character that constantly says "trust me". Um ... why? There was no reason for trust and plenty of reason for fear. Sinclair seemed to want to make a point against bigotry, but we weren't just dealing with different races, we were dealing with someone who wasn't providing information and who was legitimately a potential danger to others. The only reason to trust that person was because we know them. Only they keep getting busted with secrets so why in the world would anyone think they know enough to trust?

Sorry for the rant. I genuinely wanted to like this couple and this story. Some of the characters were intriguing so I'll see if following stories focus on them. I would be willing to continue if I thought we would get a better relationship arc.

So, not giving any spoilers it's a bit vague, but I think you catch my drift. It's just like other stories I've been frustrated with in the past. I don't like deception in romance unless it's absolutely necessary, dealt with believably, and ends by about the halfway mark. Otherwise I have no reason to believe in the continued connection of the couple.