beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Magic Strikes - Ilona Andrews Damn. Just ... damn.

So, I started with the acknowledgments and Andrews says something about Jeaniene Frost (Night Huntress series) beta reading her book and sending out a posse. So, I thought, heh heh, she must hint sex and not go there.

Then some stuff happens and I'm like, "What?! No! You can't kill him!!!"

Sheesh.

I was on the edge of my seat for this entire book. Nearly in tears at some points and laughing out loud at others. And loving the romantic developments as well.

Kate gets involved in a type of futuristic, magic-laced, to-the-death ultimate fighting tournament and things get ugly and gory from there. Add to that a little "extracurricular" investigation by those who should know better and it's a very big story.

I already have the next one, but it's the last (except for something in an anthology I happen to have) so I'm going to read at least one book in between. I want to drag this out as long as possible.

I love Patricia Briggs, but I think Ilona Andrews has surpassed her (just barely) in the addiction department. I'm completely smitten. Her world is so incredibly original and her dialogue is fresh and clever. Her action scenes are well described and, although graphically gory, suspenseful and engrossing. The romance is not the main point of the story, but I like the way it's developing.

Highly recommended.