beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
On the Edge - Ilona Andrews I really enjoyed this book. The world is very creative and different from most of the other series I'm reading. I guess it could be called "urban fantasy" but it's not really "urban" since it takes place in a fairly rural area between the magical world of the Weird and the non-magical world of the Broken.

Between the two worlds is a strip of existence called "the Edge" where moderate to weak practitioners live and scrape out a living. It's a fascinating take on the alternate dimension concept and what makes it work are the characters themselves.

Rose is a fairly powerful practitioner for the Edge. Unfortunately she managed to expose herself as such and is in danger of being dragged off for breeding purposes by elements from not only her own community but the Weird itself. Edgers are no match for the "bluebloods" of the Weird.

Declan is a blueblood who shows up on Rose's lawn. That's as far as I'll go with that.

The characters in the story, from Rose to Declan to Rose's two young brothers, Georgie and Jack, are well defined and intriguing. I connected with each of them and they mattered throughout the story. Andrews did a great job of introducing her protagonists for this ongoing new series.

Andrews is a new author for me and this is the second book I've read by her. After these two books, I feel fairly confident in recommending her to people who like urban fantasy with a thread of romance. Her Kate Daniels series seems to hit the action much harder than the romance, but this book could pretty much qualify for the PNR genre.