beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
The Pirate Next Door -  Jennifer Ashley Ashley's style has definitely matured since her pirate series. These are fun, implausible and a little bit clunky, but I can't help but give her props for making me believe the characters belong together (although, like Perils of the Heart, I felt like we skipped over some of the 'getting to know you' stage) and keeping me interested in the outcome of the story.

No, you're not going to find the same masterful story telling as you'll find in the MacKenzie series, but these are better than a lot of new HRs coming out. And better than some of the most recent offerings of my tried and true faves.

Items of note: 1) The hero is blond which is refreshing, 2) the heroine is reminiscent of many of Julie Garwood's leading ladies, 3) I think one of the villains might be set to lead a subsequent book and I'm not sure I can forgive him -- I guess I'll have to read and find out!

This is a cute, quick read, and it's one of Ashley's backlist that I snagged for $2.99 for my Kindle. If it doesn't quite reach to the four stars I gave it, it's defintiely a 3.75. :D