beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Zero at the Bone - Jane Seville More like a 3.75. I got this book because of all the great reviews it was getting and Seville is definitely a good writer. She really knows her way around a metaphor and I didn't feel like I was reading something I'd already read a million times.

The thing was that it got bogged down. At about 50% it had pretty much come to a stopping place. Although there were still important things to be finished, it didn't feel like it needed another 50% to resolve them. I ended up skimming a bit when the guys started pining. There was a lot of that and it just got tiring when the action at the beginning had been so well paced.

The other problem I had was with the chemistry between the heroes. I wasn't feeling it. It did seem like an 'extreme circumstances breed attraction' kind of thing to me. Ultimately I don't believe in the HEA because I fear D will eventually suck the life out of Jack who will never leave him even if he falls out of love. I don't know if another book is out, but there were enough hints that I feel safe assuming there at least will be. If I see some evolution in the relationship between these two I could be persuaded. I like them both and, if D can truly lighten up (which will be quite a trick making it believable considering everything he's experienced), then I can probably trust the HEA.

Great locations and some strong suspense make some parts of the story fly. There was a lot of sex and I did skim some of it after a while. But most of the time it was used to further the story line so that was okay.

A pretty good read, but could have been tighter after the halfway mark.