beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Vengeance in Death - J.D. Robb Decent read as all In Death installments have been so far. As a Christian, I do get a little weary of the crazy, homicidal Christian gimmick (that's not a spoiler, BTW), but this had a lot of suspense and I actually was kind of surprised by the outcome of the case.

Eve got on my nerves this time. You'd think she's the only one under stress. Barking every other word and running roughshod over everyone. The fights she had with Roarke were pretty believable, but she just wore me down. I would have liked a little more Roarke POV, too. Maybe that was it. For such a Roarke-centric plot, it seemed we saw practically the whole thing through Eve's eyes.

And there were a couple of moments where I went 'huh'? I just thought it was unrealistic that two of the targets of the killer weren't either under constant surveillance or on a buddy system. Way too much opportunity for mischief here and you'd think the ace detective and the most clever man in the world would consider that fact.

So, I've got gripes about this one. It's still a great series, and Roarke is amazing. Eve is usually better than this, so of course I'll keep plowing through. I give it four stars because it had some nice moments and the mystery was interesting, if gruesome (but aren't they all?).

There's temptation to just jump into the next book in the series, but I've got others calling my name and the next In Death will just have to wait its turn.