beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Blaze of Memory - Nalini Singh I'm giving it four stars, but I'm rounding it up from about 3.6, I think.

I was very intrigued that this story was going to be about Dev Santos, the director of Shine (the organization that protects the Forgotten) and the presumed dead scientist who used to work with Ashaya, Ekaterina.

It started out fine, she's been tortured nearly to death, both psychically and physically and left on Dev's doorstep. He obviously suspects a trap or Trojan horse, but he's a softy for injured women, so he brings her into his organization for treatment and protection.

This one was just kind of flat, though. For one thing, I think Dev's 'gift' was vague and confusing. I understood the machine part, but the metal part didn't make much sense for a while. At first I couldn't tell if he was actually, physically 'pulling metal' or if he was just psychically connecting with the element. By the end it made a little more sense, but I still didn't get a great picture of what it was he was doing.

Ekaterina's name gets changed to Katya -- much easier to say and spell -- because Ming LeBon has imprisoned her mind so tightly that she pretty much doesn't exist on the Net anymore and he pronounced her dead. Katya knows she's probably being used as a weapon against Dev and tries very hard to get away from him, but he's a pretty persistent guy. Meanwhile they're attraction grows.

Seems like a great story setup. It just didn't draw me. I think I'm just really put off by the psy element. I know it's so huge in this story, but I find the psy tedious. I'd much rather spend my time with the Changelings. Or even more of the Forgotten.

The best parts of the book, actually, were the letters from a mother to her son -- Devraj's grandfather -- as Silence was being discussed and then implemented. It was an excellent way to show how it came about and how it could be seen as a benefit. That and a side story about Dev's cousin were the most engaging parts.

The ending was very nice. A lovely wrap-up that wasn't unexpected, but played out differently than I figured it would. It will be interesting to see if what was introduced shows up in the future and how much, if any, part will be played by the Forgotten.

It was a decent story but, having loved the last one so much, it was a bit of a letdown for me.