beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Whispering Rock - Robyn Carr Keep the tissues handy. All these stories are about healing, but the hardship has to happen first. Even the things that you see coming from a mile away are effective.

Carr pulls a lot of emotion out of the reader and her stories are very powerful. Mike and Brie both have pain and regrets. The things that bring them together then the evolution of their relationship made for really great reading. And plenty of tears, but lovely romance as well.

The side stories are powerful as well. One seemed to pop up out of the blue a third of the way in, but it ended up integrating very well. Carr's research is very thorough and, although it makes it's way to the page, it never quite feels like an 'info-dump', which is very refreshing.

Another solid four star. These books can probably stand on their own, but they really should be read in order to get the best effect.