beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Visions of Heat - Nalini Singh I didn't like this one as much as the first in Singh's "Psy-Changeling" series. When I reviewed "Slave to Sensation" I mentioned that I found the Psy off-putting. What I meant was that they aren't all that compelling to me as romantic leads. That is, UNTIL they let go of the Silence that blocks all their emotions.

For the first 60% of this book I felt like I was just reading the first book with new characters in the lead. The last 40% saved this book from a three star. Until then we had the same set up. A psy who thinks she's going insane because she's having these unbidden feelings and desires. It isn't until Faith actually lets go that I can start giving a hoot about her and believing Vaughn's attraction is based on something real, but by then it's almost too late.

As I said, the last 40% picks up drastically. Finally we start moving on the plot. And it's a pretty good one, although yet another serial killer rehash. This one leaves behind the possibility that we could see this same problem again.

Reading the excerpt for the next book, "Caressed by Ice", I see we may actually get that kind of story line sooner rather than later. But at least the Psy involved has been with the Changelings for enough time that he isn't at square one, which is where we started with both Faith and Sascha.

Vaughn's a pretty good hero, except he didn't differ all that much from Lucas, IMO. Faith is fine, but again the story line mimicked what happened with Sascha so much that I wanted more.

There's some suspense and some violence, and of course some steamy sex. There is some interesting Pack development, too, as one of my favorite scenes in the book plays out the dominance and loyalty issue apart from the romance or Psy-Changeling plot. I liked that and I'm looking forward to seeing where it will lead.

Again -- the last 40% is quite good. The first 60% is unfortunately bland in light of the first book which I just read.

I'm going to take a break and then I'll get back to it. I'm definitely committed to this series.