beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Run to Me - Christy Reece I like this series. Much of it stretches belief, but it's suspenseful, romantic and exciting, so I can handle that.

This third installment had a few problems for me, though. To be honest, I was disappointed with the sex. No, not because there wasn't enough of it. Because it was there. It seemed wrong in the context and I thought the hero should have waited until there were no secrets between them. It took some of the romance away and felt like it was the author fulfilling a quota.

The story line was creepy, which was a good thing, but recovery from some experiences seemed pretty farfetched. That's a little pet peeve of mine. I really can't see any of these people going on to live anything even close to a normal life after what happened to them, particularly the chemical effects and head games. Again, I'm willing to suspend disbelief, but I know that whenever I see those characters in future installments (if there are any), I'm going to think "that one's going to go off one day."

In any case, Ethan and Shea are a nice couple. Ethan is a good, tortured hero. The reveal of their pasts is done well and the story is put together nicely.

I think what I like most about this series is that the books have a structure that feels a little different from what I'm used to. She has been using the same template, though, and it would be nice to see the next one shake that up a little bit.

So, in closing, I recommend this series. It's not anything totally new, but the action is well-described and exciting, the romance is believable and the heroes and heroines are likable. I think people will enjoy it.