beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Goddess of the Hunt - Tessa Dare Dang! Why aren't there more stars?

This book hit me right where I wanted it to right when I needed it. Funny, heart-wrenching, and incredibly romantic, I had a very hard time getting this story out of my head when I had to put it down to go do those tedious things that other humans expect of me.

As I said in my giddy post above, Tessa Dare does all those things I've been wanting authors to do. Yes, there's angst and some separation and misunderstanding, but neither of the characters had to be struck TSTL in order to achieve these plot points. Their misunderstanding was the most organic I've seen in a long, long time. I couldn't fault either of them for believing what they did, even though I knew they were dead wrong. It wasn't a frustration because it wasn't manipulated by the author to fulfill a template.

I do hope we get to see this couple more in the companion books. They're really delish.

I was drawn to this book by Dina's review, and then by others who started piping up -- HMS, Rane, Alexis, take a bow. So, I won't go into any more detail about the story because it's been covered nicely.

I'm looking forward to the next ones, but I might do some rereads in between so I don't get burnt out. Obviously I'm very enthusiastic and excited about this new author. :D