beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
An Irresistible Bachelor - Jessica Bird Just a quickie on this one. I liked it, but there are some romance conventions that are annoying. One of the characters becomes so stubborn it gets very annoying, but that element shows up in so many romance novels it seems like it's almost a requirement. As a result there's a big misunderstanding. Another staple of the romance novel.

But everything works out and there are some nice, emotionally evocative moments. Jessica Bird now writes as JR Ward and you can see her style in this earlier work. It's your basic contemporary and there's no BDB-style slang, but her rhythm is very recognizable. I can really see how this writer evolved into that writer.

There are more Jessica Bird books on Kindle so I'll be checking them out as well. Definitely typical of the genre, but significantly better than a lot of the other contemps I've read in the past few years.