beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Tempted by His Kiss - Tracy Anne Warren Despite the contrived plot devise at the end of the story, I still really like Tracey Anne Warren's writing.

Is it typical regency? Yep. Is it implausible? Yep. Is it amusing, romantic and sexy (when it needs to be)? Yep. And, frankly that's what I look for when I pick up a regency these days.

Lately I've been reading some things that have really had problems. Mainly because of something lacking in one or both of the characters. It's historical romance! I expect implausibility! (except in certain cases and they are few and far between and always surprise the heck out of me) It's all part of the fun. But if I can't warm to the characters or one of the characters becomes a shrew/monster by the end, I just don't feel like suspending my disbelief anymore.

Okay, that said, this is implausible and contrived. But the lead characters are really very nice and they have excellent chemistry. The heroine's sudden descent into TSTL notwithstanding, she's actually a pretty well-made character. And that's why I liked this story and why I'm looking forward to reading the next one in TAW's Byrons series. For me it's all about the characters. Sometimes the plot can get so absurd that I can't get over it, but really, if the protagonists are engaging and entertaining, I can put up with a lot. This plot is not absurd. Just not new. Enoch did it better with England's Perfect Hero, but that one's pretty hard to beat.

So, I recommend this one for a decent, lazy day read. And the villain's a true baddie and he's going to get his by the end. *evil laugh* Pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.