beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Trick of the Light - Rob Thurman Hmm. What to say?

Trixa is a bar owner in Vegas. When first we meet her she's just burned down a nightclub with her two companions, Griffin and Zeke, who she took in years earlier when they were just a couple of starving teens on the street. The arson's okay, though, because the club is owned by a demon and burning down his rebuilt clubs is sort of a favorite pastime of the trio.

There's also Trixa's bff, Leo, a sexy Native-American who runs the bar with her and has known her and her family for ages. He and Trixa bond most tightly where her late brother is concerned. The three of them were close and, you guessed it, a demon killed Kimano while he slept. Not cool. And the reason for the vengeance Trixa seeks that also drives the story.

That's all I'll say about that.

Despite a few problems, I really liked this story. I had a hard time putting it down. Thurman doesn't write romances, although she has a serious addiction to writing hot male characters and romance almost always has a thread.

My complaints have to do with the end. I won't be too specific because there are major spoilers I don't want to give out, but my problem is that certain things could have been better presented and almost seemed like a gyp when the reveal finally came. The climax of the story is quite good, very exciting, but it's followed by about three chapters of wordy wrap-up that could have been achieved in one chapter of 'showing' rather than 'telling'.

But, this complaint aside, I will definitely buy the next book in this second series by Rob Thurman. Her signature series -- Cal Leandros (although I think it should be called The Leandros Brothers), beginning with "Nightlife" -- is also a lot of fun.