beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Tempt Me at Twilight - Lisa Kleypas Really enjoyable read. Dragged just a bit in the middle and there's an event at the end that I thought was unnecessary -- or should have been a bit different for a tighter story -- but all-in-all this was really good.

The "hero" is certainly a challenge. He really seems like a cad (although intriguing and irresistible) for at least the first half. There are a few scenes where the heroine is a bit over-the-top in her lack of forgiveness, but you can see where she's coming from, so she doesn't come off as just a shrew. And there are some nice, quick lessons about personal responsibility, which is something I think are always good.

Some moments were pretty emotional. I got tears in my eyes at one point. Poppy and Harry are an engaging couple (even though their names sound like they're a clowning duo), and I found I really couldn't put the book down until I was finished.

Evil ending, though. Be prepared for a cliffhanger. A freaking cliffie in a historical romance! The nerve.

As always, I love the Hathaways. After a tepid introduction in Mine Till Midnight, they've gotten more and more lovable as the series goes on. Such a hodge-podge of 'socially unacceptable' people thrown together and loving it. It's really becoming a great series.