beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
A Night to Surrender - Tessa Dare This is a light read with a healthy dose of Dare's humor included. The dialog can be anachronistic at times, and the plot can be thin, but this author has a way with a situation that can make you laugh out loud.

Victor Bramwell comes to Spindle Cove to attempt to convince his late father's old friend -- Sir Lewis Finch -- to use his contacts to help "Bram" return to his command after a fairly devastating injury. In the process, he meets Sir Lewis's daughter, Susannah and the sparks immediately fly.

Spindle Cove is known in the outside world as "Spinster Cove", a place where young, gently bred women go to recover from womanly ailments and such. Susannah basically runs the town and it's been very successful, particularly as there are very few men around to distract the women from their recovery and development.

Enter Bram, his cousin Colin, and his trusty corporal, Thorne. Before he knows it Bram is elevated to the title of Earl of Rycliff -- lord of Spindle Cove -- and tasked with creating a militia from the hodgepodge of somewhat neutered men who remain in this gentle, female-dominated community.

My main problem with this book is that Bram comes off as rather incompetent in the role of commander. We know he's not, as his elevation to Earl is based on his leadership and valor in combat, but within this story line, he bumbles along like a dunderhead a lot of the time. Susannah often comes across as a Mary Sue she's so perfect.

Ultimately the book is pretty satisfying, though, and I'll move on to the next one. It's not agency priced so I'll probably read the whole series as light historical romance is pretty much what I'm in the mood for these days.