beanbaglove

Beanbag Love

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Shades of Gray - Brooke McKinley This book gets much better at around the 60% mark. I wasn't feeling the chemistry at first, and the whole attraction felt forced. It wasn't until later that it felt real.

Danny Butler and Miller Sutton are forced to spend their time together -- 24/7 -- thanks to Miller's investigation into Danny's boss, an infamous drug kingpin. Danny's been forced into a situation where he's going to have to testify against the crime boss and Miller has to protect him.

Once the real romance starts, the two mesh well. There's a lot of poignancy to this story, some heartbreak and some humor. The HEA is earned and organic, but there's no doubt it will be a struggle for both of them. The reader is drawn into their situation (after the 60% mark, as I said) and you can't help but wonder what you would do if faced with the same circumstances. Hence the title "Shades of Gray".

It's a good read for anyone who likes M/M suspense, but you have to power through the first, awkward/forced half to get to the gold. But don't worry, there's definitely gold.